This is a firm favorite with the family and is delicious. Often used as the base to birthday cake creations. Cover with chocolate or chocolate butter icing for a lovely Yule log. Beautiful large Swiss roll. Much bigger than the ones you get in the shops these days. Is it me or are they shrinking?.
|Serves 6-8 good dessert sized slices|
5 Free Range eggs separated
145 g/ 5 oz Fair-trade light brown caster sugar
145 g 5 oz organic plain flour
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Dark brown sugar for rolling your Swiss roll in, gives it a lovely speckled finish.
1. Preheat oven 180 c / Gas 4.
2. Base line and grease a 36 cm x 28 cm baking tray with baking parchment.
3. Whisk egg whites until stiff, then add 2 generous tablespoons of the caster sugar and beat again .
|collecting the ingredients|
4. In another bowl beat, using an electric mixer, the egg yolks with the remaining caster sugar and 1 generous tablespoon of water, add the vanilla essence. Beat for about two minutes until the mixture has thickened, is pale and leaves a thick ribbon trail when parted.
5. In a separate bowl sift the flour and the baking powder together..
6. Take the beaten egg yolks and fold them into the egg whites using a metal spoon.
7. Take the flour mix and gently fold into the mixture.
|sprinkled with sugar jam ready to spread|
8. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin, allow to flatten out and fill the base. Bake in the centre of the oven until golden approximately 15-20 minutes and the edges come away from the side of the tin.
|Filling the base|
9. Turn out onto earth friendly parchment paper, sprinkled with dark brown sugar, peel away the paper from the top and spread with chosen jam. Roll up using the base paper to help you and leave to cool on a wire rack.